The Route Manager is accountable to the Service Manager for: day-to-day supervision of all Route Sales Representatives (RSRs); training, coaching and motivating existing RSRs; facilitating an effective training program for all new RSRs; management of Route Specialists; day-to-day check-ins; maintenance of Service Standards; and management communication with RSRs and other key personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- BUSINESS MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS: a) Assists the Service Manager in developing a short-term (1 year) account retention / revenue growth strategy, b) provides day-to-day supervision of RSRs (e.g., check-ins, route rides, etc).
Schedules and manages Route Specialists, to include route coverage, new account installs, measuring of major accounts, etc., c) holds RSRs accountable for following Service Standards and other standard operating guidelines, d) supports the functions of all other service personnel (Account Manager, Service Coordinator, etc.), e) partners with Account Managers and RSRs to achieve growth, retention, penetration and profitability of all existing accounts, f) follows all financial procedures as it relates to service, e.g., route audits, check-ins, account receivables (NCND), etc., g) coordinates the completion of all actions items on all Performance Reviews and Customer Progress Reports, and h) handles escalated customer service issues including pricing discrepancies and Contract Enforcement and Service Agreement Renewals.
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS: a) Implements the corporate and regional training processes for new and existing RSRs, b) conducts route rides with new and existing RSRs, on a weekly basis, c) evaluates RSR performance, skills and performance of Service Standards.
Assists the Service Manager in the selection process of new RSRs, d) provides feedback to the Service Manager on individual performance of RSRs, and e) acts as liaison between Customer Service (Service Coordinators) and the RSRs to ensure that customers are getting immediate response to all inquiries.
- DIRECT OUTPUT: a) Develops quarterly plans for the training and coaching of new and existing RSRs., b) implements the corporate and regional RSR training processes according to schedule, c) completes quarterly performance and skill evaluations on all assigned RSRs.
Reviews delivery standard trend reports for each RSR and territory with action plans to resolve variances to goal, and d) holds self and direct reports accountable to following standard operating guidelines to ensure consistently complete deliveries to the customer base.
- KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES: a) Customer Satisfaction Scores, b) Employee Satisfactions Scores, c) Service Standards, d) Exposure-Service Agreement Renewals, e) RSR Turnover, f) Customer Retention, g) Route Growth, h) Merchandise Management – Garment and Bulk Items, i) Late Service Calls and/or To-do items, and j) Completion of training schedule.
- Bachelor's degree in business, sales, customer service or management preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- 1 year route-based sales experience (RSR preferred).
- 2-3 years experience providing excellent customer service, with demonstrated success: retaining and growing accounts; identifying and resolving problems in ways that were satisfactory to the customer and the Company; leading and training peers or work group.
- Previous supervisory or management experience preferred.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Customer Focus, WorkStandards, and Leading Through Visions and Values.
- Coaching, Follow-up, and Planning and Organizing.
- Continuous Learning, Building Positive Working Relationships, and Aligning Performance for Success.
- Managing Conflict and Decision-Making.
- Initiates Action.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, LICENSES etc.:
- Valid commercial driving license, applicable federal and state DOT certification.
- Industry knowledge preferred.